Rach off

Sorry to introduce an impolite element to the endless discussion of Mr R,
but here in Australia a common oath used when abjuring an obstinate
person to depart or even make way is 'rack orf!'. I had always assumed
that this usage was a 'polite' departure from the more base word
associated with coition, 'rack' being somewhat similar in sound.

All that surmise has now changed. It is clear that those wise old Aussies
of yesteryear were way ahead of f-minor. What they were (and still are
saying) is not 'rack' but 'Rach'. They could spot a wowser a country mile
off and obviously Mr R, in their opinion, was one of the worst. 'There's
no man in Rachmaninoff' is probably the thought they had in mind
listening to his limp concerti and flaccid preludes. I agree, cobbers.

So in conclusion, may I suggest to all those endeavouring to continue
this thread, please Rach off? (Mea culpa and sorry, Mary Jo, but I'm more
offended by the Rach-supporters than they will be by my mild insult.)

Tim Conway
<tpconway@ozemail.com.au>