Re: Rach is good and so is Glenn

At 6:25 PM 5/5/97, james langager wrote:
>p.s. let's start a Rach mailing list!! who's up for it? personally, I
>think talking about music in general is far more interesting than
>confining yourself to one piano player.

        I agree, music as a general topic can make for scintillating
conversation (especially classical!), and that is why the
rec.music.classical usenet group averages 150 messages a day. MJW designed
*this* list to be a bit more specific, and like it or not, it's the only
thing that keeps us from getting a bazillion messages about which Liberace
records Aunt Sue played at her wedding reception and whether or not
houseplants grow better to Manilow.
        Everyone's entitled to a few irrelevant posts, certainly, but it's
getting pretty thick in here. I retrieved 30 messages this afternoon and
maybe 5 of them really had any tie to Gould. If you can tie a performer or
composer into a Gould topic, maybe citing direct influence or parallel
thought development or what have you, then I think that could indeed be a
really cool topic.

Best,
Kristen

PS- You should definitely look into starting a Rachmaninoff list or chat
room, you sure have all the right enthusiasm.

"...you can never say no to a stewardess in a dream."

                                                              -Glenn Gould