Re: Different versions of the "Gouldberg" Variations

I just bought Gould's 1955 "historic" recording of the Goldberg Variations
and I thought I understood why the middle-aged Gould said he couldn't
identify with the "spirit" of the recording.  Neither can I.  I really
enjoy the aria, variations 2 and 13, but as a whole, the recording strikes
me as kind of flashy, show-offy etc.  Maybe I would prefer his later
recording of this work?

Here are other questions/comments:

1. Gouldian paradoxes

I have heard Gould's playing called "cold but sensuous."  How can it be
both?

Edward Said says Glenn observed a "rococo ascetism."  Strictly speaking
that doesn't make sense, but as far as Gould is concerned it *does* seem
to make sense.

2.  Uh, I forgot.  I'll e-mail y'all back later.

Colleen