Re: GG & analytic/creative tasks

>On April 30, Erich Schmidt wrote and Catherine Bennett answered:
>
>>I am a programmer/analyst in Princeton, NJ; has anyone found, as I have,
>>that GG playing Bach is quite helpful when doing analytic tasks, such as
>>programming or mathematics? or even creative tasks, like design/desktop
>>publishing?
>
>Hell, yes! I'm a freelance writer/editor. I often have Gould's Bach playing
>while I'm working on a manuscript. Strange that while I've got a lot of
>Gould CDs (Beethoven, Strauss, Scriabin, etc.), it's the Bach I choose when
>I'm working. It has an energizing element that's so wonderful, especially
>when I'm up at 3 a.m. (a very Gouldian hour) trying to meet a deadline.
---

Hell, yes! Actually I'm not a great listen-while-you-work person: I tend to
be able to do one thing or the other. But I am a *great* late-night
listener while I email. Tonight, the French Suites, which I haven't played
in a few months -- all those new releases to get one's ears and mind
around! -- and there are *so* many joys in there. The Air of Suite #4: only
1.04 long, but pure joy.

I happen to think that the French Suites is one of GG's most lovely and
accomplished records -- everything is so beautiful, but with a gentleness
one doesn't always find in some of his other Bach (no, I'm not going to
launch the 'autocratic' thread again, though I still happen to think it is
an apt and accurate description of GG's playing: it defies you to
disagree).

A friend in NY always says that he listened to the 'bergs while working out
math equations, precisely, I guess, for that analytical energy. The rest of
the time, they wear him out (yes, you, Alan, if you're listening....).

Best,  Alun

The  P H O E N I X  P A R T N E R S H I P
public and voluntary sector research, development and project management
Alun Severn & Terry Potter                                    ALUN SEVERN
                                        1 Chestnut Road  Oldbury  B68 0AX
                                                   Tel/Fax: 0121 421 5852
                                            email: alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
An age is always a farrago of different ages.  Whole parts of it are
unleavened and undercooked; it contains the husks of old forces, and
the seeds of new ones.                              - Alfred Doblin, 1924