Re: Brandenburgs

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Bob & Judy Williams wrote:

> I need advice. I have a recording of the Brandenburg Concertos that I
> hate. (I won't say who recorded them so you won't be prejudiced.)
> What are good recordings and why?

A few faves:

*recently from CBS Sony:
Tafelmusik with Jeanne Lamon (S2K 66289)
a better than average "original instruments" with a few surprises in tempo

*older:
The Chamber Orchestra of Europe (DG 431 660)
a fairly typical reading, well recorded

I also like the old London Ben Britten readings from circa 1968.  They've
been re-issued numerous times on CD, but I have an original gatefold
London recording that was my first Brandenburg.  Soft spot.

I also like the Casals reissues with the Festival Orchestra (mid-60s) on
Sony.

Best,

Keith Weston
WUNC-FM
Chapel Hill, NC USA

> I saw Slaughterhouse Five last night and when the background music
> was a segment of a BC, I thought my recording of that stinks. I need
> to ask the GG group for a recommendation or two.

I saw SH5 in 1978 when I was in High School.  Loved it then, love it more
now.  It was one of my first intros to classical music.  Some fine
atmosphere.