Listening

Alun, that's a good idea. That we all like Glenn is a given but what
do we listen to otherwise and what comments do we have regarding
label practices and other related horror stories.

I want to trash Deutsche Grammaphon as severely as I can for short
measure and for repetition from one disc to another. I recently
bought by mail - a necessity where I live - L'nuit d'ete with Anna
Sophie Van Otter. It came with several songs to be found on the same company's 2
disc set of Berlioz Melodies. Was I unhappy? Oh, yes. What really
adds to my discontent is the Penguin Guide which praises record
companies for doing this! What is the opinion of the members of this
guide? The worst (as well to be fair the best) CD's that I own had
the Penguin's approval.

I got to listening to performances of Beethoven's Op 111, one of the
late sonatas. I compared Brendel, Roberts and Edith Vogel and I
liked Vogel's the best for warmth and nice joining of the edges.

Otherwise I like Takemitsu, Messiaen, Lutoslawski and Shostakovich.

Best regards

Bob Williams prospero@netins.net