Re[2]: GG: Italian Concerto

     These are valid points about the Italian Concerto but IMHO
     it is still a fabulous Bachwork.  It does not have the heavy
     contrapunctal content of other late baroque works; instead
     it is mostly two-part counterpoint with block chords thrown
     in here and there.  To me that gives it a distinctively
     "keyboard" flavor as opposed to some of the other keyboard
     works which are truly 2-, 3-, or 4-part in nature and
     therefore readily adapt themselves to other instrumental or
     vocal performances.

     I suppose in a sense the IC is less complex than certain
     other Bachworks but each movement is beautifully organized
     and the middle movement is a wonderful example of elaborate
     right hand ornamentation against a repeating left-hand
     motif.  I particularly like the deceptive cadence near the
     end of the first movement where Bach adds a few extra bars
     and then finishes on the same cadence an octave down (ending
     on F major).  I can't give you the bar number right now but
     the motif that is repeated goes A-Bb-C-F-A-G-F-E-F in eighth
     notes, and it is right before the final recap.

     I really dig the Italian Concerto.

     mark