GG: Lois Marshall died this week.

Hi Folks,

I heard at a concert tonight that Lois Marshall died this week.

This name will probably be more significant to the Canadian
readers of this list.  She was a soprano who performed on CBC concerts
during the same period that our Glenn was performing.  She
must have been over seventy when she died.

She appeared on Gould's 1962 TV show Festival/Richard Strauss:
A Personal View.  Otto Friedrich tells the story about how Gould
once mentioned to an interviewer that "I'm recording like mad and
working frantically on _A Letter from Stalingrad_, which I am
writing for soprano Lois Marshall.  Its a very personal piece
for me.  The text is a letter from a German officer killed at
Stalingrad, an extraordinarily moving thing, in which he
instructs his wife in how she must act in the catastrophe of
their world."

Friedrich asks Marshall about this and she had never heard of
it.

regards,

Michael