Re: Gould Bias

    know the one I mean - the only one who recorded the Goldbergs before
    Gould... it was a woman... oh, well, it's gone now) and found Gould's much

I'm not sure she was the only one, but it was probably Wanda Landowska,
one of the foremost Bach interpreters in the first half of the century.

She had an enormous influence (positive IMHO) on Bach performance,
getting away from the truly romantic interpretations rampant before and
during her time, i.e., banging on the piano for maximum effect.

She recorded on the harpsichord, and was extremely knowledgeable of and
interested in authentic performances.  Of course, as a ground-breaker,
we now have the benefit of another 50 years of research to make
performances more truly authentic than hers, but for her time ...

I'm sure others (Bradley?) will correct me where I've erred, and add
info where I'm lacking.  This is from memory of reading her liner notes
to the WTK recording I have (*six* albums, a big fat box :-).

kb@cs.umb.edu