GG- Goode Is?

>> Arin Murphy says: "...I organise my CDs by composer... except for a
>>shelf of Sony Gould recordings at the top..."

I had to laugh at that, that's exactly what I do. I have two little
bookcases, perfect size for CDs, that fit side by ide in an alcove. Jazz,
Rock & Whatever are arranged (at least in a perfectly neat world) by
artist, but "Classical" CDs are arranged by composer, except for the Gould
shelf at the top. Bach on the left, Other on the right, glass squirrel in
between.

I've recently been greatly enjoying the set on Elektra/Nonesuch of
Beethoven's sonatas by Richard Goode. We had the pleasure last summer of
attending a recital he gave at a small college near my home a couple of
days before a more-heralded gig in Boston. Is it OK to say "gig" about
sonatas? It was a fabulous evening of great playing in lovely surroundings
that we just happened to hear about on the radio the day of the event.
Goode seems to me to clarify the underlying structure of the music in way
similar to Gould.

I don't "hear the tunes" as clearly in players like Brendel, Ashkenazy.
etc., no doubt due in large part to my not paying proper attention, but I'm
curious about what it is in Goode, Gould & others like Rudolf Serkin that I
do appreciate more clearly. I don't follow music criticism closely nor am I
very conversant technically with music theory & piano playing. I wonder if
anyone out there who is could comment on Goode, in the sense of what kind
of player he is & what nuances (shades of Teddy Slotz!) typify his playing,
especially in comparison to our pal Glenn.

regards, Josh Randall

smtp://joshr@glyff.com
http://www.glyff.com/
icbm://42.32.33.N/70.53.08.W