Re: Gould Bias

I think it's a disease quite a few of us suffer from. Gould does indeed
`ruin' a work for us because once you've gone through his passionate
interpretation everything else seems like it's missing something. For
example, I met Gould's recording of the Allegretto from Beethoven's Sonata
#17, was thrilled, balked at the price for both concerto CD sets and
bought someone else's recording - Alfred Brendel, to be precise. I was so
disappointed! It's... well... flat. Where's the depth, the emotion, the
drama? Same thing with the Goldbergs, now. I was crushed when my future
father-in-law said that Gould had utterly ruined the Goldbergs for him in
a negative fashion - he'd grown up on someone elses's recording (oh, you
know the one I mean - the only one who recorded the Goldbergs before
Gould... it was a woman... oh, well, it's gone now) and found Gould's much
too harsh. I suppose Gould can ruin things that way, too. I'm glad he
never has for me. Not that he's the only musician I listen to - not by a
long shot (I like Ashkenazy too, especially his Chopin - maybe it's a good
thing Gould didn't care to record him, or I'd have to make a painful
decision!) - it's just that once he's made a piece so completely his own,
everything else just sounds wrong.

Oh, by the way, Gerald... I organise my CDs by composer... except for a
shelf of Sony Gould recordings at the top. It's very much a case of
`Beethoven, or Gould?' when I have to choose something to listen to!

Arin Murphy
Concordia University, Montreal

The absolute requirements of literary labour not unfrequently compel an
irregular distribution of time, and with it irregular social and moral
habits. (J.W. Kaye)