Re: Gould Bias

>   I call it Gould Bias.  Any comments?

For the most part, I agree with you Gregory.  Most of the pieces I
hear GG play are simply superior to anyone else's renditions.
However, I do have a bias towards Van Cliburn's recordings.  I enjoy
comparing the few pieces both pianists recorded.  VC has a much more
elegant and emotional technique whereas GG has a slower, more
disciplined playing.  Although I have found GGs "Moonlight" sonata is
far more intense and driving than Van's.  Unfortunately, because Van
is a 'concert' pianist, he has only a fraction of the recordings Glenn
made.  Therefore, very little can be compared.  But no other pianist
comes close to GG's technique to my mind.

As a side note, I did purchase the Michaelangeli version of the
"Emperor."  (He is the pianist for whom GG substituted at the last
minute to accomodate the CBC in 1970 when Michaelangeli backed out.)
It is actually quite comical.  I have never heard this concerto played
so fast and with little conviction.  I believe Gould's impromptu
performance, even with the clinkers, far outshines this version.

Lori Lalonde