Re: GG: Glenn Gould Edition VIII

Scott Henderson wrote:

> While "surfin' the net" over lunch, I stopped by the Sony Classical site
> (http://www.music.sony.com/Music/Classical/) and found the following
> information under new releases:

I looked at the repetoire on these.  It looks like Sony has once again
lifted the music from the videos so that they can make "first release"
recordings.

The "Art of Fugue" is listed as (Excerpts) along with the same prelude
and fugue GG plays in the video "Art of Fugue" he made with Bruno.

I purchased 3 of these CDs, "The Emperor" concerto with Strauss'
"Burleske", the CD of the recordings with Yehudi Menuin, and the other
escapes me right now.

I am very dissastisfied with these.  For one thing, it's just another
way Sony gets my money.  The quality of the recordings are only as
good as what can be obtained from the video recording.  For another,
it is far more interesting to watch Gould play these pieces, and
finally, some of these performances were not among Gould's own
personal favorites, and he would most likely object to their release
were he alive today.

I truly wish Sony has found something different we don't have, but
frankly, I don't think so.

Lori Lalonde