Re: GG: GG as vocalist

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Kristen Immoor wrote:

> >   I'm sure there has been constant discussion in f_minor of GG's
> >"singing "and I'd understand if it is rejected as a boring topic, but
> >so far I've read only of the extraneous piano sounds.

     Sorry to go back to extraneous sounds, but there is one that I find
really irritating that has nothing to do (I don't think) with GG.  In the
Rondo of GG's Concerto #3 with Bernstein, at about :41 seconds, it sounds
like a bunch of coins fell out of someone's pocket.  With headphones, it
is really piercing and the coins can be heard rolling around on the floor
after they are dropped.  Of course, GG's stunning performance (especially
the unbelievable, non-pedalled fingerwork in the 6/8 finale) more than
makes up for it, but it still puzzles me.

	As far as the vocalization goes, I recall reading in one of the
essay's in the 1983 book "Variations" something about GG trying to repress
his singing but, found that it required too much of his concentration.  I
also love GG's singing.  I second the vocal part in the adagio of the
Strauss sonata as a great example of his singing, but my favorite occurs
in his Mozart C-minor at about the 1:20 mark when GG yells out the
rhythmic cadence with unusual clarity.