Re[2]: GG: Gould & competition

        Well, of course, you will never convince people of this, but
        there is really no way to "beat the market."  Sure, you can
        UNDERperform the market if, for example, you don't diversify
        away your alpha risk, but otherwise the market is in equilibrium
        and all premiums for beta risk are appropriate for investors
        seeking that risk level.

        But wait, you say, how did the market achieve such equilibrium?
        Well, the industry of investment analysis is like any other
        industry; the commodity will be provided at the level at which
        marginal benefit equals marginal cost, and there is always room
        for one more professional if that's really what you want to do
        with your life.  But otherwise, from a MATHEMATICAL perspective,
        the best thing is just to find some low-cost way to "ride the
        market" and enjoy the fruits that are already there without
        thinking that somehow the system can be "beat."  BTW, check out
        how the "professionals" compare against the dartboard:  not very
        favorably, I'm afraid.  (Although they do a little better at
        finding very small anomalies and exploiting them with large
        amounts of money.)

        But what about Mr. Gould, you say?  Well, who knows.  I
        certainly don't know enough about that anecdotal evidence, or
        any of the other anecdotal evidence about someone who was
        "really smart" and made a lot of money.  First of all, we don't
        know what kind of exposure to other less favorable outcomes the
        individual experienced during the relevant period of time.
        Furthermore, we don't know what kind of favorable outcomes would
        nonetheless been experienced had different decisions been made.
        So it's not very helpful.

        mw  :-)