Re: Glenn Gould

Dear All,

Especially for UK list members, I copy below responses from Sony to a
recent message of mine. The good news is a UK version of IMAGES at what
appears the remarkably low price of L13.00. Other List members may find
their curiousity sated regarding contents of the forthcoming ART OF FUGUE.

- Alun

----------

>o       In addition, I'd like to know whether there has been any
>        change in Sony's decision not to market the recent
>        double CD/book IMAGES in the UK.
>
>        It will be released on March 3rd, but only through HMV stores,
>        along with a exclusive 9 disc box entitled The Essential Bach
>        Recordings. Images will retail for around the £13 mark, the box set
>        for around £50
>
>o       And finally, what details do you have about the forthcoming
>February
>        release ART OF FUGUE? Ideally I'd like to know what is on the disc:
>        is it a straight reissue of the old tape version I remember from
>        the late 70s/early 80s.
>

>        Please find below full details of this disc;
>
>Track Listing
>           JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH (1685-1750)
>
>           The Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080
>           ----------------------------------------
>    1          Contrapunctus I
>    2          Contrapunctus II
>    3          Contrapunctus III
>    4          Contrapunctus IV
>    5          Contrapunctus V
>    6          Contrapunctus VI (a 4, im Stile francese)
>    7          Contrapunctus VII (a 4, per Augmentationem et Diminutionen)
>    8          Contrapunctus VIII (a 3)
>    9          Contrapunctus IX (a 4, alla Duodecima)
>           Glenn Gould, Organ
>Recorded January 31, Feb. 1, 2, 4, 21, 1962 All Saints' Anglican Church,
>Toronto
>           Produced by Joseph Scianni
>
>           The Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080
>           ----------------------------------------
>    10         Contrapunctus I
>    11         Contrapunctus II
>    12         Contrapunctus IV
>    13         Contrapunctus XVIII  (Fuga a 3 soggetti)
>           Glenn Gould, Piano
>            Produced by Mario Prizek (CBC)
>CBC Video, Clasart co-production directed by Bruno Monsaignon 01/01/74
>Toronto
>
>           The Art of the Fugue, BWV 1080
>           ----------------------------------------
>    14         Contrapunctus XI (a 4)
>    15         Contrapunctus XIII (a 3, rectus)
>    16         Contrapunctus IX (a 4, alla Duodecima)
>           Glenn Gould, Piano
>           Produced by James Kent (CBC)
>CBC Radio Recital 11/23/67 Toronto
>
>     17   Prelude and Fugue in B-flat major on the name BACH, BWV 898
>
>           Glenn Gould, Piano
>           Produced by Glenn Gould and Andrew Kazdin
>Recorded 1/20/80 - 2/02/80 Eaton's Auditorium, Toronto
>
>This disc along with two other discs will complete the Sony GG Edition; all
>three are released on March 03.

ALUN SEVERN      -   Home                          1 Chestnut Rd  Oldbury
                                              W.Midlands  B68 0AX England
                                                       tel: 0121 422 9509
                                            email: alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
                 -   Work           tel 0121 643 4343 + fax 0121 643 0661
"There's quite a bit of piano-playing going on there  --  and I mean that
as the most derogatory comment possible."                - Gould on Gould