CS6: Antiracism and Schubert at 200

_COUNTY SOVEREIGNTY_ No. 6

from Frank Forman
<frank@clark.net>

Again, just this one essay and on a variety of
topics, as is my wont. I thank "Citizen Kafka"
for reminding me of it, as it has been a while
since I put out an issue.

ANTIRACISM AND SCHUBERT AT 200

I wrote a piece praising Schubert which was part self-
satirical, part serious, and part inquisitive. It drew
a few good responses but mostly howls from the
antiracist crowd. Antiracism is a cosmic world view,
whose norms have been assimilated by an extremely
large number of people, judging from the responses I
got. My short piece said nothing at all about race,
but I offended the antiracist norms and hence got
denounced as, at worst, a racist and, at best,
ethnocentric.

"Racism" itself is the best example I know of that Ayn
Rand calls an "anticoncept." Whereas concepts are
supposed to promote clarity of thought, an anticoncept
destroys any possibility of thought. It seems that a
racist is someone an antiracist dislikes. This is
hopelessly circular, but I would like to get a better
fix on the core elements of the antiracist ideology.

Here's what I said:

"This is the 200th anniversary of the birth of Franz
Seraph Peter Schubert. Let me indulge in some dubious
metaphysics in celebration: Schubert's music is not
essential to Western music (the only kind), in a way
that the music of Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, and
Brahms are. Western music would be essential different
without them. But Schubert's music is a glorious
bonus, even though it is a fact that the value of his
music exceeds that of the combined artistic
productions of all non-Western civilizations. Music,
and I mean the deliberate contrivance of a extended
microcosm without external purpose, unlike chanting to
induce hypnosis in religious services, music that just
accompanies a story, or music too trivial to be an
extended microcosm (folk music), is the last of the
arts and has been achieved by only one civilization,
the Western, and only really got going about 1700 with
the music of Bach, albeit with precursors dating back
a century or so. (I am thinking of the Counter-
Reformation music of Palestrina, but Bach wrote purely
instrumental microcosms.) A lot of people say that
Bach represents the culmination of a tradition and was
not a radical innovator. What he did was to produce
master microcosms of a perfection far beyond that of,
say, Buxtehude. So, Bach is the first composer but
Schubert, though also among the dozen greats, is not
be essential to the development of music. All this is
dubious metaphysics, but I think I have communicated
something that rings true, certainly for me. So how
can I render these poetic statements into something
more respectable by way of scientific metaphysics?"

-----end of my short piece.

Here's a response from Philippe Varlet:

Do you mean "the only kind you understand"? I thought that kind of musical
ethnocentrism belonged in the stone age. But I don't know this person and
should give him/her the benefit of the doubt.

[FRANK: I have made a serious effort to understand
non-Western music, for instance the Victor "History of
Music in Sound, Vol. 1: Ancient and Oriental," Yehudi
Menuhin, "West Meets East," and a more modern disc,
"Musique de la Grece Antique." There were instruments
playing short pieces or making improvisations, but not
music as I defined it and with which no one disputed:
"the deliberate contrivance of a extended microcosm
without external purpose, unlike chanting to induce
hypnosis in religious services, music that just
accompanies a story, or music too trivial to be an
extended microcosm (folk music)." Of non-classical
music, I like best the marches of Sousa--these
compositions are not extended, but writing a really
good one is deceptively difficult. Ditto for Strauss
waltzes, which I am not fond of. The only Jazz music I
like is the Dave Brubeck Quartet, and Brubeck was
classically-trained, under Hindemith. I've asked lots
of jazz lovers what other jazz I might like but none
of it turned out to appeal to me.

[I wonder how many of my critics profess *themselves*
as understanding non-Western music. I suspect they are
just parading their assimilation of antiracist norms.]