[Fwd: More on the 2 & 3 Part Inventions]

Alun Severn wrote:

> I just want to say that, partly as a result of feedback from other list
> members I have probed this recording more thoroughly over the past couple
> of weeks than ever before and I think it has grown to be one of my
> favourite -- perhaps the favourite of the moment -- work in the GG
> repertoire. Clanky, sticking piano tone 'n all. I think GG was right too:
> the idiosyncracy grows on one; without that curious tone it just wouldn't
> sound the same.
>
> Rgds,  Alun

My intoduction to GG was the '81 recordings of Goldbergs and the 2&3 part
inventions. I must, by now, have played these CDs over 100 times. Although
I am not in a position to compare the recording of the 2&3 pt invs with even a
significant proportion of GG's repertoire (I now know well WTC bks 1&2 and the
English Suites) I must say, for what it's worth, that I shall be (pleasantly)
astounded if I find a CD's worth of music as consistently interesting and
and enduring as this. The 3pt inv in E minor is the most nonchalently and
effortlessly beautiful piece that never fails to hit the spot.
I once remarked to some "friends" that I would be happy if my last conscious
hours could be spent listening to the 2pt inv in C minor. (Their enthusiasm
to arrange this was greater than I had hoped!)
Another friend initially described GG, regarding his incontinence of humming,
as "le petomane Gould" but now agrees that this and the amazingly rickety
piano  add a lot of human warmth to the performance (although, clearly,
that is present in abundance without).
As to how one apportions the praise for the quality of this music between JS
and GG, I am not sure (or competent to judge). There is a clue in that the
difference between the '81 and the 30 year earlier recording (live in Moscow-
3pt invs 2-15 only) is enormous and, unlike the similarly spaced Goldbergs
which are in their own ways both marvellous, show a marked improvement (the
3 pt in E minor especially).
        I share Alun's enthusiasm but the other recordings are are only
marginally less wonderful!
        A quick question that you skilled Gouldian musicians should be able
 to answer.
        Would GG have played these pieces often for his own entertainment?
I read somewhere that he only played the 2 pt inventions once. As a non-musician
I find this incredible.
Had I one thousandth his pianistic ability I would play them endlessly!
Regards Eric