Re: GG: Slaughterhouse 5

Tim:

Being a Savoyard myself, you can bet I've been on the lookout for
anything Gould had to do with G&S. Unfortunately, the closest I've gotten
so far is an oblique mention in an essay of Gould's called _L'Esprit de
Jeunesse, et de Corps, et d'Art_ (Spirit of Youth, Body and Art):

	`Just as in earlier, simpler times, young ladies of good breeding
found the gentle airs of Mr Sullivan's operettas a demurely secular
embroidering of the neo-Mendelssohnian chorale, which codified Methodist
music making in the home....' (Page, 407)

(What, did Gilbert not have anything to do with those operettas?)

So there you have it. And while I haven't seen the movie and won't any
time soon (not having VCR is a terrible thing), I can guess that what you
heard might have been `Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here', which of course
is sung to the music of `With Cat-Like Tread' from _The Pirates of
Penzance_. It's the only thing I know which is G&S but not really, which
is sung far and wide without people knowing what they're actually singing. I
have no clue what the scene was like, so I can't say for sure. But that's
a guess for you.

Glad you found my info entertaining!

Arin Murphy
Concordia University, Montreal

The absolute requirements of literary labour not unfrequently compel an
irregular distribution of time, and with it irregular social and moral
habits. (J.W. Kaye)