Re: Alberto Guerrero

The only recording of Guerrrero's playing I've been able to discover
was originally released in 1983 as one LP of two under the title "The
young Glenn Gould," both of which were rereleased in 1987 on a
single CD (DFCD-9032) produced by Fanfare of Toronto, the issuer of
the original LPs, and again on CD in 1993 by Mastersound of Toronto.

The contents (original 2nd LP) include three Mozart works for four
hands, featuring Guerrero and Gould together, and Bach's Italian
concerto played by Guerrero.

These were recorded by Gould and Guerrero on their own recorder
between the years 1947 and 1953 and somehow the tapes came into
the hands of Fanfare who produced the LPs shortly after Gould's
death. The works played by Gould alone are: Berg's sonata op.1,
Shostakovich's Three favorite dances transcribed by Glickman,
Taneyev's Birth of the harp transcribed by Hartmann, and Prokofiev's
Winter fairy transcribed by Fichtengoltz.

There is a great deal of information on the cover of the original
LPs, Gabriel, which I'd be happy to check further if you'd like.

> I know Alberto Guerrero, Gould's piano teacher, recorded
> some works, especially some Bach concerto.
> Does anybody know what are his available recordings?

      Peter Glenister            Bibliographic Services Librarian
      Mount Saint Vincent University  Halifax Nova Scotia B3M 2J6
      Telephone: (902) 457-6402               Fax: (902) 457-3175