GG: Art of Fugue

Folks,

I have a question. OK, two questions.

1.      When speaking of the 1981 revisit to the 'bergs,
        GG said (and it's quoted in the Friedrich book but I'm
        too tired/lazy to look it up) that there was very
        little in the 'bergs that moved him to the extent
        that Art of Fugue did: that, definitively, he claimed
        was his favourite Bach. In this case, why do you
        think he (a) only recorded part of it, and (b) chose
        organ rather than piano? I'm curious -- but I bet
        someone out there knows some good reasons...

2.      The Toccatas as I write tonight. And before that a
        little of the Salzburg 'bergs and some of the Three
        Part Sinfonias -- but, oh, the sound on those Sinfonias
        is pretty disappointing, isn't it. The sound, clarity and
        tone of the '59 'bergs is terrific, however -- but do I
        detect "raggedness" in the later variations? Again, just curious.

Very best,  Alun

ALUN SEVERN      *  Home                 1 Chestnut Rd  Oldbury  Warley
                                         West Midlands B68 0AX  England
                                                      Tel 0121 422 9509
                                          Email  alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
                 *  Work           Tel 0121 643 4343  Fax 0121 643 0661
"There's quite a bit of piano-playing going on there -- and I mean that
as the most derogatory comment possible."             -- Gould on Gould