Schubert, etc.

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997 frank@clark.net wrote:

> ... Schubert's music is not essential to Western music
> (the only kind) ...
> ... it is a fact that the value of his music exceeds that of
> the combined artistic productions of all non-Western civilizations.
> Music, and I mean the deliberate contrivance of a extended
> microcosm without external purpose, unlike chanting to induce
> hypnosis
etc. etc. etc....

Dear Frank,
I can't understand why you need to repeat that whatever doesn't belong to
Western civilizations is shit (and I feel that kind of pride so
anti-gouldian).
I wonder how you can think you know "the combined artistic productions of
all non-Western civilizations". Rather presumptuous! Second-order
Third-Reich philosophy!
And music in religious services doesn't serve to "induce hypnosis"
(Frank! Have you ever listened to Bach or Gibbons?!!).
I don't like hearing silly ideas called "metaphysics".
Dear Michael, simply don't care.
We all are brother and sisters.

Regards, Livio