Re: Beethoven

In message <199611070638.QAA29199@mesbne01.medeserv.com.au>, "Leon A. Le
Leu" <lleleu@medeserv.com.au> writes
>Somebody was wondering about GG's Beethoven performances.  I obtained a few
>of the GG collection videos a few days ago at what I thought was the
>reasonable price of AU$18 per video (about US$15 if we have to use that
>comparison). They had been reduced from AU$32.   One of them contained his
>playing of the Bach D minor concerto, the first movement of the Beethoven
>first piano concerto with his marvellous cadenza, and what I feel is a
>rather superb rendition of the 32 Variations in C minor.  I was so inspired
>that I started practising them again but perhaps without GG's posture, his
>gestures, and, of course, his tonal control and musicality.
>
>I think his performance of the 32 variations is really masterly and gives
>more of an impression of what a dramatic and well integrated work it is.
>Just his rendition of the last three chords of the work, complete with
>expansive gestures, is masterly in itself.

Absolutely. This is as gripping an account of these variations as you
will hear. Teh Eroicas are perhaps the highlight of the entire videos in
a performance that has all the wit, humour and excitement needed to make
this peice sparkle - it's less deliberate than his studio recording too.
Neil Tingley                   Furtwaengler FAQ from r.m.c.r contributers at:
neil@music.demon.co.uk         http://www.netlink.co.uk/users/music/ & links to
London, UK                     G.H Gould and others "more about me" menu.