Re: GG

mwilliamson@alston.com wrote:

>      I seem to remember some conversation with GG in which he
>      said that he would be "flattered" if his listeners taped his
>      recordings and rearranged the items to create new works
>      (something that could now be done with a CD player with
>      ease).
>
>      Have you ever thought about doing this in your own
>      performances:  perhaps rearranging the movements of a Bach
>      suite to suit your taste, or splicing together different
>      movements from different suites (maybe in the same or
>      related keys, maybe not)?  Might be particularly fruitful
>      with the Handel suites, some of which are too short to
>      constitute major performance works on their own . . .

I have rearranged Glenn's recordings in such a way.  Particularly, I
mixed Glenn's two recordings of the "Emperor" concerto and once even
inserted a Van Cliburn movement for comparison.

However, I'm not sure if Glenn meant for us to "shuffle" the passages.
I believe (as I think he did) that a whole work has a theme which is
developed from movement to movement.  I once by accident pressed the
"shuffle" command on my CD player while listening to the 1981 Goldberg
Variations.  I could almost sense GG squirm.  The theme in the
original aria seemed lost, and the 32 movements became just random
pieces.

While I know Mr. Gould predicted this era when we could program the
particular performers and performances, I do believe he would want us
to keep the order as it was meant to be.

Lori Lalonde