Re: GG: What Do Non-Fans Think?

At 23:59 13/7/1996 -0400, AMRourk@aol.com wrote:

>Hi, everyone...
>
>Carl Tait has been reposting the "greatest hits" of the Usenet newsgroup
>re.music.classical...   some of the posts have been about Glenn Gould, and I
>thought I would send them along to the list, for those who aren't able (or
>willing  :->  ) to read the newsgroup.  It's always interesting to get a look
>at other ideas about GG...  even if they aren't ones that I personally agree
>with!!   Most of what this writer details as his dislikes about Gould are
>things which I consider to have been among his strengths ( and I love the
>"Siegfried Idyll", both in his orchestral and piano-transcription
>versions...)
>
>Audra

The odd thing (for me) is that (with the Schoenberg piano set) the Wagner
transcriptions/"Siegfried Idyll" disc is my favorite GG recording... & i
agree pretty much with every criticism my initials-sake makes of them. A
pair of alien lifeforms probably wouldn't have as much trouble understanding
each other as Wagner & Gould clearly did - but _because_ GG rewriting of
Wagner is, simultaneously, as fascinatingly thought out as it is
conceptually ill-conceived (& probably because GG was one of the most
relentlessly intellectualising but still strangely instinctive artists since
- well, Wagner), their failure to communicate is (to me, at least) a lot
more interesting than most people's successes....

All the best,

Robert Clements
clemensr@mailhost.world.net