GG: Re: introductions

    I am fascinated by the following GG has, and have joined to observe
    something of the reason why.

I suppose this a truism, but for me, the sum of Gould + Bach is
something beyond the superlatives that each are individually. It is
magical to me, for reasons I cannot explicate any better than the usual
list (bringing out voices, illuminating counterpoint, etc.).

The video `An Art of Fugue' is the culmination of it all for me ...

Tangent to that, does anyone have favorite recordings of non-keyboard
Bach pieces? Even the standards: the six unaccompanied violin pieces,
the Brandenburg concertos, the violin concertos. I have yet to find
anything that really resonated with me at anything like the level that
Gould does. (I am happy with/recommend Casals' recording of the six
unaccompanied cello pieces and Lutz Kirchhof's complete solo lute
recording, though :-)

    I haven't seen the GG movie yet.  Do you all recommend it??

The ``GG movie'' (32 Short Films, I assume you mean) is what really got
me interested in Gould. I saw it every chance I could when it was
playing around in random theaters; I found it pretty amazing. There was
some discussion here recently regarding the movie, sparked by an
extremely negative (and highly unfair, IMHO) review in the issue of the
GlennGould that came out recently (by Kevin Bazzana, the editor).

I saw it again last night on video, for the first time in over a year,
and knowing much more about Gould than I did, and I can agree with Mary
Jo & other's criticisms here, and even (some of) Bazzana's, but it still
seems like a wonderful piece of work to me.

Sorry to go on at such length.

kb@cs.umb.edu