Re: GG:Lambs

> The Goldbergs show up in:
>         The Silence of the Lambs
>         Goedel, Escher, and Bach
>         The Goldbug Variations (I haven't read-- anybody know more about
>                 this?)
>         The Collecter (by John Fowles-- which influenced Silence)
>         ????? What else?????

I have read the Gold Bug Variations and recently used it as one of the
texts in my honors course on patterning in DNA and music.  I would
certainly recommend Powers' novel to anybody interested in either.  The
novel is structured with reference to the Variations and specific
variations [GG's '55 recording, although the '81 is also mentioned] are
incorporated into the narrative.  One of the novel's characters is a man
involved with early studies on the breaking of the genetic code, and
there are many discussions of how living organisms and musical diversity
both spring from a small number of compositional elements.

It's a good read and certainly a more benign introduction to the
Goldbergs than Silence of the Lambs!  :-)

Mary Anne Clark