Tillich AND Kierkegaard

As one of you correctly noted, Kierkegaard was not an existentialist
philosopher. Indeed, he was a precursor to it. In the same Esquire
interview, GG said he also read Tillich. And it was P. Tillich, the
theologian, who attempted to synthesize Christianity and classical and
modern existentialist philosophy. Hence, the references I made to both
these topics in my previous mailing. Still, no one has sent any sources
connecting GG and SK. Now, I have added the name of Paul Tillich.

GG was a rare bird. Consider what Artur Rubinstein, another musician
who was famous for his knowledge of subjects outside of music (his
phenomenal memory included names, dates, and lineages of European royalty
for past centuries), once said about a colleague. R. and Jascha Heifetz often
collaborated on recordings, and apparently H. could not engage in
stimulating repartee with R., because, as R. said, "the only book H. ever
read was the PHONE BOOK."