GG: Four Last Songs

     Reading Mary Jo's interesting post of the material from Doris
     Grumbach's book reminded me of a very effective cinematic use of
     one of Strauss' "Four Last Songs," which occurred in the early
     1980's film "The Year of Living Dangerously."  (This was also one
     of the first starring vehicles for Mel Gibson and Sigourney
     Weaver.)  I believe that Elizabeth Schwartzkopf was the soloist
     in the recording featured in the film.

     I, too, adore the sublimely beautiful "Four Last Songs," but, as
     someone once remarked (maybe about Chopin's Nocturnes?) , they
     should be taken in small doses by anyone diagnosed with clinical
     depression... ;-)

     Cheers!

     Phil Garon