Re: [F_minor] doubts and other stuff

Who can "doubt" that GG was quite correct in saying that Mozart's little ditties all seemed to be "cut from the same cookie-cutter.?" I think another famous comment of his (and I paraphrase ) was that he enjoyed running his fingers up and down the keys playing the Wunderkind's triumphs, but he couldn't believe that anyone took them seriously. Now, coming from Buffalo, home of the steel mills, blue collar, and paradoxically some of the finest music I've ever heard, I was exposed to Webern, Berg, John Cage, Schoenberg, etc. long before they were in fashion. (Are they in fashion yet?) Michael Tilson Thomas said he could perform things in Buffalo that he'd never get away with in New York! But that was then, and I digress. The point is, many people said back then that they found this new music "interesting," but they couldn't believe anyone took it seriously! How Gouldian does that sound? I myself was young enough to pretend an absolute absorption in atonal noises that were perfectly appalling. (That last sentence was in A-major). But it really is all subjective after all, and if Glenn was truly trying to find something in Mozart that couldn't be heard in traditional renderings, then cheers! I tend to think he was just trying to break the boredom, but why should he even play it at all? Is the joke on us? Are we all afraid to say that Mozart just wasn't - uh - let's say, all he was cracked up to be?

Remember Glenn singing Wagner to the animals at the Toronto zoo? The elephants all trumpeted and walked away, the lions tried to cover their ears, and GG was absolutely delighted at their reactions. He laughed and said, "Perhaps something at a slower tempo." Maybe audiences were all like the animals in the zoo to Glenn. He wasn't laughing at us really, but he was just on such a different plane that he couldn't help but find us charmingly amusing when he played something like Mozart for us. As for me, I am not ashamed to say that I can't really listen to a Mozart sonata all the way through without dozing off. And if they ever played anything vaguely approaching 12-tone in Santa Barbara, and I would still feign rapt attention and hope that those without ears wondered what they were missing. I have never understood the parallel between Bach and Richard Strauss that GG so patiently tried to teach us, but I would never admit it - not even to this group. As for Beethoven, I've only heard Glenn play the "Emperor," and it's my favorite performance of the piece. The one with Stokowski conducting.

My Foss/GG anecdotes will appear here soon. I have to check some details with friends back east to be sure I get it right. One I can share is that Lukas, apparently on about 12 hours notice that Glenn was ill and couldn't perform as scheduled with the Buffalo Phil, substituted for him and played the entire concert just as it was billed. AND he conducted as well, of course. Maybe Lukas had prepared in advance, knowing GG's propensity for canceling. But my source tells me, no, Lukas could actually do that on a moment's notice.

Well, that was my cadenza, and I must be off. Let the arguments rage on! Anne

----- Original Message ----- From: "paul wiener" <pwiener@ms.cc.sunysb.edu>