[F_minor] THAT OLD BLACK (and white) MAGIC: The Piano

What a coincidence that Ronald Brander 'no subject' should mention the WTC. I have been listening to it exclusively for about 2 weeks now - specifically Gould, specifically Book 2: 1-8 and Book 1: 1-8. Why oh why oh why am I transfixed in this way? And the dreams I have! Has anyone spoken of the influence on dreams that this music has? Does it ever come up for comment?

I throw the following in to the ring (sorry Mr. Lehmann):

"Some Thoughts On The Performance of Bach's Keyboard Music"
   by Albert Alan Owen (copyright)

A WORD OR TWO ABOUT AUTHENTICITY

It is my firm opinion that Bach's keyboard music positively benefits
from being played on the piano!

Ignore the Early Music Fundamentalists! They are wrong! Follow their path
and you will reach a joyless world of musical constipation. In spite
of all the academic research, very few authentic interpretations shed any
new light on the glories and mysteries of this master's music. Rather,
the contribution of "The Early Music Brigade" is usually of the most
mundane kind, namely: that when played "authentically" the music sounds
different (thinner) from a performance given on modern instruments - Surprise
Surprise! The experience also shows us why  modern instruments
were invented/developed!

TOCO : If the harpsichord is such a great instrument, why did they bother
inventing the piano?

The piano is a superior instument, in every way, to its anaemic, rattly,
predecessors. It is a miracle of technology, a magic box: A percussion instrument
that can (subjectively) sing! Its range of possible sounds are infinite.
Its responsiveness to touch, unrivalled by any other keyboard instrument.

To deny oneself the opportunity of playing Bach's music on a modern piano
is, quite simply, perverse! (copyright)
more, much more, at:   http://members.aol.com/aaocompose/piano4.html

  A friendly warning for Mary Jo Watts and Anne Marble: Arte France, a widely watched pan European tv channel, is airing "Hereafter" this evening at 22:35, prime time. H is for hagiography -  so brace yourselves 'cause methinks F minor will be a very, VERY popular destination for Europeans over the next few weeks: the Center of the Universe, you betcha, (wink). FNAC, Hug, and the few remaining independant record stores will surely be under all out assault.

  Mr. Merkin, I found Ekaterina Dershavina at my local Bibliotheque Universitaire (taxes well spent). During the first listening of her Goldberg Variations I thought, for the first  time, that the 'legend' of this masterpiece serving some soporific purpose might indeed bear some truth and by that I mean how lushly (somebody, anybody, is welcome to chime in here) she portrays the lines. It is bloody gorgeous. Thanks for the tip.

Mary Jensen