RE: [F_minor] Keith Jarrett's Goldberg Variations

Hi there Bob.  I must admit that my ears have been spoiled and corrupted
by the sounds of a modern grand piano.  The dynamic reach and depth
achieved even by an amateur clod still can produce more "oomph" and
expressive power than any harpsichord can.  Frankly I have always been
convinced that had Bach been alive to hear the roaring power of a
monster grand he would instantly take leave to compose and enjoy it as
we do.  He lived to hear the first pianos, from what I've read, but the
sound quality would have been very unsatisfying by our standards.

As a matter of fact, I have a question back for you and the group: has
anyone heard a recording done by any pianist on either an exact replica
or the original of those earliest of pianos? I cannot say that I recall
hearing what they sound like?  There are lots of people who have made
recordings on pianos from Mozart-Haydn-Beethoven's day and so we know
what they sound like.  But, from Bach's day? That I am curious about.

As for Jarrett's Goldberg, have not heard it.  I have a recording of him
at home doing Handel stuff on a harpsichord and it is quite nice.

Cheers,

Fred Houpt
Toronto