Re: [F_minor] BACK TO BACH AND BELLYACHING

Singh wrote:
I would not let this article worry me too much.
> Glenn Gould never claimed to be playing Bach authentically,
> and these people seem to have understood that it was his
> mission to do so. It is a very interesting article,
> but I agree with Glenn Gould in saying that with the
> invention of recording, it is up to the performer to set
> new standards every time a performance is done. Something
> new should be brought to the piece, otherwise everything
> becomes redundant. Although Mr. Egarr's approach certainly
> has validity, it goes against everything that I see as
> right and good in the production of music.

Richard Egarr's recording of the Goldberg Variations is wonderful, musically, despite anyone's complaints against the media hype or concert promotions (the "it's-not-Gouldian" stuff, yadda yadda yadda). Have you heard it?
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Goldberg-Variations/dp/B000ECXBN2
Egarr's recording *does* bring something "new" to the piece, and set new standards: this is the first recording of the Goldbergs using the temperament (tuning system) that I reconstructed from Bach's music and other evidence.

Egarr has also done WTC book 1 in this:
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Das-Wohltemperierte-Clavier-Vol/dp/B000TT1QN2

As has Peter Watchorn, before him:
http://www.musicaomnia.org/bachharpsichord.asp