From: f_minor-bounces@email.rutgers.edu on behalf of Karl Berry
Sent: Sun 7/6/2008 6:04 PM
To: francescoburns@hotmail.co.uk
Cc: f_minor@email.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: [F_minor] Biography

    Can anybody reccomend the best biography of Gould? I have read the
    GG reader and "Conversations with GG".

By and large, I enjoyed the earlier biographies more than the later
ones, but that could have just been because I read them first :).
On the other hand, Payzant (the very first one) didn't do a lot for me.

Specifically:

- the first posthumous biography, Glenn Gould: A life and
  variations by Otto Friedrich.

- the collection published very shortly after his death, Glenn Gould
  Variations edited by John McGreevy, with contributions from many
  people.  (Not exactly a biography.)

- Etha has mentioned the Selected Letters.  Not exactly a biography
  either of course, but hey, that's the real (written) GG, as close as
  we'll ever get.

karl

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.