RE: [F_minor] Ravel

Ah, if you have not heard GG's Strauss album I encourage you to see if your local library has a copy and rent it to listen.  You might be heartily surprised.  IN any case I would enjoy hearing your views.  I love it.

Having heard GG dessicate poor Chopin, it shows first that GG could play anything, no matter what.  Second, he had a gigantic memory (everything played before a camera or audience was done by memory).  Third he knew how to show his distaste with popular music by finding a way to embarrass the composer, for example playing the chief romantic composer as if a steam roller was playing the keys.  Or, playing music with ultra articulation, forcing our attention to the architecture and away from melody.  He knew full well how to make mincemeat with music.  What is so odd is that he played Brahms with such facility and effect.  Guess he loved him.

I'm sure GG privately played almost all of the western musical cannon.  How else could he have discovered all those unknown composers?  He also never had to raise a family and could indulge himself with himself 24/7 (after retirement from stage).  He had time and money and so I can imagine him looking over all.

It is a shame he did not do more Scarlatti.  There are other composers I wish he dabbled in as well.....More of Bach sons for example and minor composers around Beethoven's time....and then no Schubert, Tchaikovsky, etc.  Too bad for us.

Regards,

Fred
[snip]