From: Reinhold, Christiane [mailto:christiane.reinhold@bearingpoint.com]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 10:37 AM
To: Houpt, Fred; F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: RE: [F_minor] Beethoven Bagatelle #3

I agree with Fred that, at least for me, the Bagatelles are superior to GG's Sonata recordings (this has less to do with GG, but more with the Beethoven and my personal preferences; and that is not to say that the sonatas are inferior per se - far from it).  The Bagatelles bring across so much in terms of personality (Beethoven's? GG's?) and a range of emotions (to me, I hear a good-sized temper at work, and lots of humor!) that is seems a very human/humanizing listening experience (perhaps at bit more earthy than Fred's impressions - but to each his own).

In fact, there's something I wanted to ask forever about Bagatelle ) Op.126, No.4 in B minor - I hear GG playing a stretch of it in almost a ragtime fashion (syncopation) which I didn't find indicated in the score I have (please don't ask me for the edition.... I would have to dig).  Is this truly a GG add-on (I tend to think so as there exist some GG juvenilia when he plays it "straight" and incredibly fast)?  Or are you aware of other interpreters taking a similar tack?

Thanks much!
C.

Christiane Reinhold, Ph.D., PMP
Manager, Public Services