Re: [F_minor] Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Charles McElwain <
charlesmcelwain1@verizon.net> wrote:

> This is the most important aspect of the discussion - the examination of
> velocity.  The Gould performance of the "Moonlight" on the faster side, the
> Brahms 1st concerto with the Bernstein on the slower side are *revelatory*
> interpretations, which few of contemporary interpretations are.  (And I hope
> to find the recording Fred mentions below.)
>
> Back in March on this list, I recalled the passage from Fred Hoyle's
> classic "The Black Cloud", where an alien thought the "Hammerklavier" was
> great, but needed to be faster.
>
> In a similar vein of velocity exploration, one of my recordings of
> Beethoven's 9th Symphony, by Benjamin Zander and the Boston Philharmonic
> Orchestra (Pickwick/Masters CD), Zander takes the 1st Allegro, 3rd Adagio,
> and 4th Presto movements each about 10-25% faster than most of my other
> recordings (paradoxically, the 2nd Molto vivace is slower than my other
> recordings).  On the face of this, it's outrageous; but on listening, you
> hear structures and patterns in the music that just aren't apparent in the
> more conventional tempi, and in the end, it's a compelling interpretation.
>
> Charles

Somewhat a propos -- earlier this evening I was playing the C major fugue
from WTC 1 and decided to take it a bit slower than I usually do in order to
work out some technical issues. As I did so, an entirely new fugue came into
my view -- a gentle, reflective piece rather than the regal, extroverted
thing I had been playing at the faster tempo. It really was something of a
revelation, and it captivated me -- it was as though I had discovered
something in the music that had always been hidden just under the surface,
waiting.

Etha