Re: [F_minor] Slaughterhouse 5

I recently bought the Glenn Gould Reader and have been devouring it
out-of-order with great enthusiasm. In the Glenn Gould Interviews Glenn
Gould about Glenn Gould piece (pg 315 in the 1990 paperback ed), I have
found at least part of the answer to my question:

*g.g.: What about your own concerns? Have any of your activities violated
these personal strictures and, in your terms, "menaced" society?*

*G.G.: Yes.*

*g.g.: Want to talk about it?*

*G.G.: Not particularly.*

*g.g.: Not even a quick for-instance? What about the fact that you supplied
music for **Slaughterhouse Five?*

*G.G.: What about it?*

*g.g.: Well, at least by Soviet standards, the film of Mr. Vonnegut's opus
would probably qualify as a socially destructive piece of work, wouldn't you
say?*

*G.G.: I'm afraid you're right. I even remember a young lady in Leningrad
telling me once that Dostoyevsky, "though a very great writer, was
unfortunately pessimistic."*

*g.g.: And pessimism combined with a hedonistic cop-out, was the hallmark of
**Slaughterhouse, was it not?*

*G.G.: Yes, but it was the hedonistic properties rather than the pessimistic
ones that gave me a lot of sleepless nights.*

*g.g.: So you didn't approve of the film?*

*G.G.: I admired its craftsmanship extravagantly.*

*g.g.: That's not the same as liking it.*

*G.G.: No, it isn't.*

*g.g.: Can we assume, then, that even an idealist has his price?*

*G.G.: I'd much prefer it said that even an idealist can misread the
intentions of a shooting script.*

*g.g.: You would have preferred an uncompromised Billy Pilgrim, I assume?*

*G.G.: I would have preferred some redemptive element added to his **persona,
yes.*

Etha