RE: [F_minor] Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

Hi there.  I was aware of the late application of a name to the B piece.
I had not heard of Berlioz's title or suggestion for what this piece is.
Very interesting, I had not considered the piece a lament, and I've
played it all my life.  That would really turn my mind around about what
is going on.  However, if my reactions to the Moonlight have been
strongly fashioned by the many romantic minded pianists (some you've
mentioned, others I wrote about) then that is how I came to this piece.
The quiet, contemplative approach to the 1'st movement always felt to be
the correct approach.  It just seems to be inherent in the music itself.
To play it faster than a slow pace seems to me to disturb the music, but
again that is the way I grew up listening and feeling the music.

I must admit that it had never occurred to me that this piece referred
to the oncoming deafness.  We certainly get the feeling that Beethoven
did not go gently into that good night.  We hear his rage in the
Appassionato and other sonatas.

One has to admit that there is something intrinsically deep and
spiritually moving about the Moonlight.  It has been recorded to death
and each new generation of piano hammers goes right for it as well as
the Appassionato and Waldstein.  They are all gems. Finally for now, I
cannot find any good logic in Glenn's approach to the 3'rd mvt.  It is
just too much horsepower and frantic flashing for my tastes.  Way too
fast for me.  Glenn knew how to exaggerate a point and it seems to me
that he put his foot right to the floor and for me it was not the type
of drive by I was looking for.

Cheers,

Fred