From: f_minor-bounces@email.rutgers.edu
[mailto:f_minor-bounces@email.rutgers.edu] On Behalf Of Charles McElwain
Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 12:11 PM
To: f_minor@email.rutgers.edu
Subject: RE: [F_minor] Beethoven sonatas (was Gibbons on piano)

Or that there is a, is *one*, correct indication.  There's a rat hole
here: Either there is *one* right interpretation, metronome, etc., which
is the composer's *singular*, and printed, intention, in which case
there should be slavish attention to the some form of Urtext.
And then we need far fewer musicians, to occasionally produce new
recordings when technology changes.

Or, a composer could be "wrong", simply have offered suggestions, change
his/her mind, "evolve" his/her mind, potentially be convinced, or simply
appreciative, by some alternative introduced by another interpreter at
arbitrary remove in time and place.

Ultimately, the proof of an interpretation is the "musicality" of that
interpretation, and that is a question of individual perception, not a
Platonic form.  The best interpretations are usually those
*informed* by history, but not subjugated to history; but even sometimes
those completely uninformed by history (if that is even
possible) can be compelling.  Some or many "authentic"
interpretations are convincing; some or many are not.  Some or many
"alternative" interpretations are convincing; some or many are not.

This puts an extreme responsibility on the listener; they cannot simply
say, "oh, this conforms to the tradition of what is the correct
interpretation".  (Tradition being "the last bad performance"
- once "tradition" indicated a Pleyel harpsichord; now, for a good
laugh, listen to harpsichordists, say on the HPSCHD-L analogue to
F_minor rant against Pleyels.)

Neither *should* they just say, "it's what I like".  I'm *not* here
saying, "it's simply what I like, and you can't argue with me" - there
should always be reasoned, as well as emotional, responses, and these
should be verbalized for critical discussion.  How else can you discover
new things?

Towards a Popperian (or Feyerabendian :-) ) critically rational theory
of musical listening, Charles

At 10:58 AM -0400 3/17/08, Houpt, Fred wrote:
>This brings up a very important point.  Who is to say that the composer
>is correct 100% of the time when he/she indicates speed of playing?
>
>Regards.
>
>Fred Houpt
>Toronto

Thomas's

--

  | || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||

Charles McElwain
33 Vernon Street
Somerville, MA 02145
617-628-5542 (home)
617-501-1591 (cell)
charlesmcelwain1@verizon.net

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations.
Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent.
Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite.
Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.