Re: [F_minor] something Gould would like: Gibbons on piano

paul wiener wrote:
This has always been one of the most puzzling facts to me about Gould. His love of Gibbons must say something profound about him, but since Gibbons' works don't resonate with me, I haven't a clue what it is - other than comforting.

Is it his love of playful simplicity? Can someone point me toward a musicological entry into Gibbons' music?

Gould's attraction for Gibbons appears to have been fondness for a vocal-music record that he had when young, and subsequently wore out two or three other copies of. He explained it in one of his essays that made it into the _Reader_.

Brad Lehman