RE: Why are we wasting our time on this garbage. This site isfordiscussion of GG. Re: [F_minor] OT: Why has this moviebeenbanned from the USA? Why can't Americans see & hear this movie?

Speaking about operas, ahem....a small story.  Someone here at work
surprised me by offering all of a sudden out of the blue, oh Fred would
you like to attend the opera?  I checked my pulse.  I was awake.  I
said, why that is so sweet, I've never seen one live. So, two very
expensive tickets appeared on my desk.  I nearly fainted when I saw how
expensive, but this person had them extra from some friends who could
not attend and didn't want them to be wasted.   So, I made a phone call
and a friend said that he would join me.  After supper we walked over to
the brand new Opera House here in downtown Toronto.....very lovely
place, very modern.  Anyway, suffice it to say that after the opera was
over I was in a bit of a bleary head state.  What Opera did I see?  Oh,
yes, that.....Janacek's "The house of the Dead".  90 continuous minutes
of morbid, dreary, depressing reminders about why Joe Stalin's one way
ticket's to the Gulag up in Siberia was such an underrated option....the
other being hell.  Based on Dostoevsky's book, it must rank as one of
the most sour and dour musical experiences in the literature.  Sung in
Czech, with English subtitles up on the marquee, the sets were fabulous,
huge cast, some of which were naked as the men frolicked in the steam
bath sequence...ok, this is the new age, right?

I left with my heart pining away for Mozart or Tchaikovsky...both of
which are coming to the Toronto opera later.....

What a bracing first opera experience.....goodness....

Regards,

Fred Houpt
Toronto

[snip]

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations.
Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent.
Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite.
Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.