Re: [F_minor] OT: Why has this movie been banned from the USA? Whycan't Americans see & hear this movie?

Ah, Bush Derangement Syndrome (DOH!), okay, well, he has only 10 months left to Make Mischief, and it wouldn't shock me to learn his White House influenced the mysterious inability to see Branagh's Magic Flute (or buy a US-compatible DVD of it). He and his ex-wizard Rove are creatures of the power of the media to influence people, and nothing keeps the voters well-behaved like blocking incompatible messages from abroad.

Almost not a joke. Though Sarkozy is being described as Bush's new Poodle (Blair was the old Poodle), tempers are still hot in Washington over France's lack of military commitment to the Iraq War.

This English-language review from a Japanese newspaper

http://www.branaghcompendium.com/artic-tmf_herald-asahi2007.html

emphasizes an unexpectedly overt anti-war theme to Branagh's version. Branagh sets his film in the French trenches of World War I, and Sarastro and his Brotherhood are actually trying to end the mindless slaughter. They read and honor the names of the dead in a variety of languages, including Japanese and Arabic. Those nuns are British nursing sisters (and agents of the evil, violent Queen of the Night).

This would not be the first European movie with anti-war themes which received a chilly and unwelcome theater distribution in the US during the Bush years. The Michael Caine / Brendan Fraser film of Graham Greene's "The Quiet American" (about the early American CIA phase of involvement in Indochina) was released a few months after the 9/11/01 attacks in the midst of a tsunami of angry American patriotic xenophobia, and had a very chilly, slow time finding theaters willing to screen it. Eventually it found an audience and earned an Oscar nomination.

Ordinarily I think of music and opera as an evening's pleasant escape from grim reality, but of course great artists refuse to make things that easy, and use art to force us to think hard and deep about reality. I think Mozart, Shikaneder (with their coded ideals of Freemasonry) and Branagh have important -- and very contemporary -- messages for us in this sublime work. It's very possible many people just want the monsters and the happy-go-lucky birdcatcher, and would prefer to skip the messages.

My Vleeptron post has 4 links to YouTube videos, the Trailer, and 3 different samples, all from the French subtitled version. Off-List, Pat informs me Swiss movie theaters do not sell Milk Duds.

Lefty Peacenik Old Hippie Vietnam-era Vet Bob
(but not a Freemason)
Massachusetts USA

http://VleeptronZ.blogspot.com
News, Global Warming, Mozart, Sports, Intergalactic Travel, sausages, VOLCANOS!!! opera, PIRATES!!! Big Integers & BOINC.
Remarkable Older Stuph: http://vleeptron.blogspot.com