[F_minor] popularity contests and conversations

I completely agree with all my colleagues - art has a meaning far beyond
record sales and exhibit attendance, and Gould most definitely did not
value competition.

And yet: he released a prodigious number of recordings, created radio
specials and television programs intended for some sort of audience
because, I believe, he felt all this music and all these conversations -
however mediated - were important.

Perhaps we could reframe this thread, thinking more in terms of "ongoing
conversations", and whether there is still value in maintaining and
expanding Gould's presence in order to keep these conversations dynamic,
rather than simply thinking in terms of marketing, branding and
consumerism

Make sense?

Thanks,
Sam