Re: [F_minor] Glenn Gould

Singh wrote:
The only evidence for what I have said that I know of, is in the Penguin Guide, where Glenn Gould's recordings (although mentioned) frequently rank below other pianists renditions of the same work. Sometimes even strikingly so. For example, his 1982 Goldberg Variations was given 3 stars out of a possible 4, but two of those stars were questionned in the text below the rating. His inventions I think were similarly dealt with.

Well, Gould's interpretations (especially of Bach) *are* _sui generis_ enough that they infuriate some people, or come across as merely perverse or arbitrarily odd. They're not necessarily very good interpretations to give to students to try to emulate, either, since Gould wasn't interested in using historically-verifiable techniques; the students would learn "wrong" things and then have to unlearn them later. Instead, Gould made his own modern way and was convincing at it. (Well, I guess I already said that, essentially, with "_sui generis_".)

The Penguin is perhaps trying to recommend safe mainstream choices to its readers. Some publications do that, shying away from iconoclasm.

Also remember in general: penguins are small flightless birds.

=====

I'm not happy with the inventions recording, myself. I've been listening to it again several times recently, after I've owned earlier copies both on LP and CD for about 20 years. My quarrel isn't so much with the gulping piano and its surgical problems, but rather with Gould's choices of very fast or very slow tempos, and his machine-gun sameness of inflection (i.e. not enough inflection) of dynamics or articulation within those lines to make them seem like natural expression. The notes are just too much the same as one another, for my preferences, and for my current understandings of Baroque performance practices and the art of communication. Getting past the "wow" level of Gould's delivery for its own clean sake, I find I'm bored with the interpretation.

I'm aware that a lot of people still like this inventions recording anyway, and find that it reaches them. Fine; but if the piece has to be played on piano, Rubsam's recording reaches me a lot better than Gould's does. I find Rubsam's flexibility very attractive in that performance.

And I'm eager to hear Peter Watchorn's new recording of the inventions/sinfonias on harpsichord, to be released any day or week now. It will show up at
http://www.musicaomnia.org/bachharpsichord.asp
when it is.

Brad Lehman