RE: [F_minor] Glenn Gould

Bob:

What an outstanding post.  I am occasionally motivated to say things
about Glenn and from two different places.  They are distinct and both
heart felt.  First, I write notes totally out of a reaction to something
I have read in some magazine (usually) by a critic or perhaps another
musician who has said something I felt was untrue or overly negative
about Glenn's music making.  The other times I write is just to express
my awe and joy at discovering what Gould has said in his interpretation.
Way too often people of all stripes make the assumption that Gould
played a piece the way he did because that was the limitation of his
imagination.  They could not be more wrong.  First of all, he had a
gigantic musical memory.  He spent all of his life swimming in and
absorbing music at the deepest levels.  He spent all of that time
contemplating and revising his mind. When he decided to play something,
say for example his infamous Mozart, he did so very deliberately,
sometimes to annoy, sometimes to highlight a point through great
exaggeration, sometimes to satisfy his own demonic sense of humor.  He
knew exactly what he was doing, knowing full well the manner in which
the music had been performed by countless others before him. Glenn did
not want to play the music the same way, over and over.  He considered
this tantamount to mental suicide.  He said it was a prime motivation to
quit the touring stage.  Ok, that was his choice.  The upside to that
choice was that he could freely explore many different approaches to
music with only his own self to satisfy.

When I read that Glenn is portrayed as some sort of freak it just gets
me very upset.  He knew there were no absolutes in interpretation.  He
also knew that his critics usually did not possess his level of
knowledge.  He bravely went on his discovering way regardless of
reaction.  He played to please his own sense of beauty and sense of
"just right".

With the recent and very sad passing of Oscar Peterson, a man known to
hum and buzz his way through those tunes as he ripped up the keys, I am
reminded at how much unnecessary flack Glenn took for an uncontrollable
urge to sing. If I have to read someone making another critical remark
about it I will tell them to do better or shut the heck up.  (As an
aside, my old Danish friend Eric was a piano tuner to BOTH Oscar and
Glenn and he's already told me some stories about Oscar with more to
come next time he drops by for supper).

Glenn deserves the passionate love we fans pour out.  He has way too
many ignorant detractors who do not know his radio work, some of which I
consider to be 50 years ahead of its time and visionary.  Finally, after
reading last summer of an interview with his former lover, I was so
happy to see the human and physical side of that very ultra private man.
I was happy to think of him having a loving relationship.  That it
didn't work out and that ultimately his mental demons took over is the
sad legacy of that part of him he would want us to keep private.  He
would argue that it had no bearing on his interpretations of Wagner. And
he would be correct.

We love him and I say let us always correct the negativity with our own
clear points.  Let us also remain committed to telling younger kids
about this really great dude who, like Oscar, could give you a thrill
ride over the ivories.

[Personally, I think that some of the critics are still jealous that it
was Glenn's recordings placed on the Voyager spacecraft (hurtling out of
the solar system) and not them.]

Best regards to all.  In the spring I will make that trek over to his
grave and place some flowers.

Fred Houpt
Toronto