Re: [F_minor] Re: F_minor Digest, Vol 18, Issue 11. Re: Re:Cornelia Foss reveals all!!! (Chester Singh)

How nice to read the posts reassuring us that GG was human. This is the kind of information this list is really meant to provide.

As for myself, I prefer to think of Glenn as a god AND as a human - a bit like Jesus was said to be. There is only god in my world:

the "god" that is created by the act of communication. The articulation of the perfection we all seek (and which is symbolized by "immortality") is the chief language of such communication. Gould - like Bach - was one of its greatest artists.

t 12:08 PM 9/3/2007, DJ Were-Panda wrote:
Good day,

On 9/3/07, Chester Singh <k_dawg71@hotmail.com> wrote:

> This humanity
> that my father gives to Glenn Gould confuses me, because he seems like
> just
> another human-being; if he is just another human-being than why can't I be
> like him?
>
> Singh

Human beings are similar in composition, but not in the blueprint that which
makes us individuals.  GG had a unique genetic imprint, coupled with his
upbringing and environment, produced the pianist that we know today.  The
key to species such as human is that we are both similar and unique.

GG is another human being.  He had issues, preoccupation, fear, happiness,
just like the rest of us.  The key of GG being a human being is that we can
mutually empathize, somewhat, his experiences and reaction.  But we can
almost never be exactly like anyone.  Period.

I am perfectly content to know that he was human.  His contradictory side
(contradictory meaning his actions being opposite from what he espoused in
his interviews/documentaries) explains to some extent why he was the way he
was.  The following is just pure speculation on my part: Why did he call
himself "The Last Puritan", or shunned talks pertaining to his
relationships?  Other than his privacy, it could be that he was repressing a
want for someone whom he knew could never have again.

At the last GG Conference in '99, I've witnessed a few people who placed him
in an almost godly stature, and that frightened me.  I don't think GG
would've liked knowing that there are fans who are hero-worshipping him.  He
was one of the anomalies produced in a sea of humanity, but he was most
definitely human.  As such, I would rather admire the knowledge of his
humanity than any other larger than life images of GG.

Regards, DJ Were-Panda