Re: [F_minor] Gould Goldberg as played on Pan Flute?

Wasn't it Glenn Gould who said that the listener, not the performer or the composer, should be in control? If we decide we want to hear it on the sitar, I think we should feel happy that we are following in the footsteps of Glenn Gould.
Singh

From: paul wiener <pwiener@ms.cc.sunysb.edu>
To: Brad Lehman <bpl@umich.edu>, F_MINOR@email.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: [F_minor] Gould Goldberg as played on Pan Flute?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 13:17:07 -0400

Well, I don't think he played the flute or the guitar......

This is in the spirit of fun, folks........I didn't start it; Zenph did.

At 01:02 PM 6/5/2007, Brad Lehman wrote:
Couldn't the file be played back on any number of "computerized" (synthesized) instruments, using the same encoded performance dynamics Gould used? The Yamaha is only one kind of instrument. So is a saxophone.
With this technology we could have Gould's Goldberg performed on the harpsichord, the Hammond B-3 organ, a 12-string guitar,a xylophone, an accordion, a shamisen or sitar!

As if Gould would have articulated or paced the music in exactly the same way, on any other instrument than the Steinway he happened to be playing on?

Brad Lehman