Re: [F_minor] (no subject)

Another very good point, and one that is probably correct. However, in my own defense, I present one last point. It is impossible to say what the human mind (particularly a mind such as Gould's) can think up. It is also known that scientifically, a human CANNOT completely control his muscle movements. Some are better than others at it, but 100% can never be achieved for the simple reason that our bodies do not work that way. Therefore, I can still doubt that ths subtleties and extreme nuances that the human mind can concoct could be reproduced by Glenn Gould, although I am sure he came close. Also, and more abstractly, in order for his music to have been perfect, Glenn Gould would have wanted that the listener felt what he did. After all, music IS emotions. Not only because of technological shortcomings, but also because of the intellectual short-comings of us, the listeners, this side of perfection was never achieved by Glenn Gould, although it may very well happen in the future.
I am enjoying this exchange, let us continue it,
Singh

From: aboikov@nd.edu
To: Chester Singh <k_dawg71@hotmail.com>
CC: pwiener@ms.cc.sunysb.edu, Randy_Walld@cpe.umanitoba.ca, MMacelletti@msn.com, F_MINOR@email.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: [F_minor] (no subject)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 20:55:23 -0400

I'm not sure that I can quite agree with the notion that Gould's playing (to him
at the time,
at least) was anything short of perfect. We're all familiar with his legendary
obsession with having complete control over all aspects of his life--his genius
made this somewhat fantastic desire more or less reality. However, when that
perfect
control could not be achieved--in the realm of composing, for instance--Gould
quit. In another example, his inability to exact complete reign over the
concert platform led him
to retreat to the recording studio where he could in fact attain perfection.
However, one can argue that Gould's ability to achieve perfection was limited by
technology, not his musical abilities. Notice that for every hour of piano
practice, he spent so many more hours writing about and investigating new
prospects for recording technology. What's most telling about Glenn Gould's
perspectives on a musical ideal may be his dream of allowing the listener the
ability to create a particular version of a performance that suited that
listener's particular preferences. The closest Gould was able to get to that
perfect notion was to realize a work as perfect in his perspective--how he
actually did realize that end result is another matter of debate.