Re: [F_minor] Zenph's Gould

I wonder if they positioned the dummy head where Gould had his head, or where the average normal pianist would have his head. There's a huge difference, and that DOES influence the sound heard.

Best,
David Ramezani

From: Brad Lehman <bpl@umich.edu>
To: f_minor@email.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: [F_minor] Zenph's Gould
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 17:49:42 -0400

A fitting Memorial Day tribute!

http://zenph.com/sept25.html

"We also recorded a binaural version of the playing. In this technique, two microphones are positioned in the ears of a dummy head, so that headphone playback sounds quite immersive. You'll be able to hear what Gould heard as he sat at the piano bench, an amazing experience!"

A dummy head as stand-in for Glenn Gould? Amazing!

The dummy head as pictured could use a bit more facial expression. It seems aloof. No real listener is that unresponsive and objective.

Next edition, let's hope they also give us the tactile sensation of the 1955 bench, the plasticity of the freshly-soaked fingers (from the hot water), and the taste and smell of the Arrowroots!

Yeah, I'll probably buy a copy of it sometime anyway. How many fresh ways can they keep recycling that fine 1955 performance, making it sound as if we should have been there?

(I remember once playing a concert that *was* recorded binaurally and with a dummy head, poking up above the audience. Freaky thing to look out at during the performance, the robot staring with no eyes.)

_________________________________________________________________ Motionera roligare med MSN Hälsa http://e-health.msn.se/